Multicultural Education Program
What is Multicultural Education Program?
The PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada (PEI ANC) created the Multicultural Education program (MEP) to provide workshops, presentations, and training materials to schools and to the community at large. The program focuses on the areas of diversity education, cultural awareness training, and combating racism.
The purpose of the program is to assist the community in understanding the needs of newcomers to Prince Edward Island by working with students, teachers, government representatives, and community organizations. The goal is to ease cultural transition for newcomers by fostering a welcoming and understanding community.
- To create and/or access appropriate modules and materials for training workshops on anti-racism, cultural awareness, diversity education, etc.
- To respond to requests to deliver presentations in schools which relate to multiculturalism, diversity, anti-racism, inclusion and other related topics
- To assist professionals in schools, government departments and community organizations to understand issues related to multiculturalism and diversity
- To participate in the planning and delivery of established multicultural and immigration related events
- To provide guidance for anyone seeking resources on multiculturalism, diversity, anti-racism, and other related topics
- Information Services
- Resources for use in the delivery of training and workshops on anti-racism, cultural awareness, diversity education can be created and/or accessed for use in the community.
- Class Presentations
- Multicultural educators are available to do class presentations relating to multiculturalism, cultural awareness and diversity education for elementary, intermediate, high school, and post secondary levels.
- Cultural Awareness Training
- Cultural awareness training is available upon request to school staff, government organizations and community service organizations.
- Cultural Event Planning
- Services are available to assist in the organization and delivery of cultural events (World Refugee Day, International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, etc.).