PEI ANC Coordinates Welcome for Syrian Refugees
The Welcome Project
Posted: Wednesday 25th November 2015 15:15
(Updated: Tuesday 12th April 2016 01:52)
Saturday, April 2nd was the last regular Saturday drop-off at the Donation Centre. However, Islanders may still pass along donations to support refugees by calling 1-844-237-7734 to inquire about the need for your items and to arrange a drop off time. More info [2016-04-12]
The PEI Provincial Government has announced plans for welcoming Syrian refugees to the Island. A major component of the plan is The Welcome Project.
The Welcome Project, coordinated by the PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada, is a support network of community organizations and various levels of government collaborating on welcoming Syrian families to PEI. Both government assisted refugees (GARs) and privately sponsored refugees (PSRs) will be supported.
This is the coordination currently underway:
- The intake and distribution of material donations, beginning December 1st, at the PEI ANC Donation Centre, 1 Queen Street (the former Coast Guard building across from the Delta Hotel)
- The coordination of volunteers
- Liaising with Private Sponsor Refugee (PSR) groups such as The Catholic Diocese of Charlottetown, The United Church of Canada, Atlantic Baptist, Interfaith Refugee Sponsorship Group, etc.
- The coordination and release of factual messaging and updates related to Syrian refugees, timelines, and other details
- All details regarding settlement such as accommodations, household goods, etc.
For more information on The Welcome Project, please contact:
RAP Settlement Worker
(902) 628-6009 ext. 232