Get Involved

Get help from PEI ANC with this

Amy MacLean Amy MacLean
Employment Services Coordinator

Lisa Chaisson Lisa Chaisson
Employment Counsellor

Michelle Hood Michelle Hood
Employment Counsellor

Dandan Wang Dandan Wang
Employment Counsellor

Ellen Mullally Ellen Mullally
Employment Counsellor

Hannah Jones Hannah Jones
Employment Counsellor

We have made every effort to ensure that the information in this Guide is accurate and up-to-date. If you find of any errors or omissions, please contact us.

Online Guide for Newcomers to Prince Edward Island - Canada

Qualification Recognition

Email Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Print

It is important to be able to use the education, training and work experience you acquired in your country of origin. Before you start working or studying in Canada, some employers, post-secondary education institutions (universities and colleges), regulatory bodies and apprenticeship authorities may require that you have your credentials recognized by an approved assessment agency.

The best way for you to begin the process of getting your international credentials recognized is to see how your qualifications compare to those of someone trained in Canada for a similar job. If your profession is regulated, it is important that you follow the credential assessment requirements set by the regulatory body or apprentice authority in charge.

It is a good idea

Even if you are not required to get your credentials assessed as part of the licensing process for your profession or trade, it is a good idea to consider getting an assessment done by an approved assessment agency. Then you can show employers how your qualifications compare to those of people trained in Canada.

There are many documents related to your education and experience that can help Canadian institutions understand your international qualifications. The types of documents that may be required include:

  • degrees, diplomas or certificates from universities, colleges, secondary schools or trade schools
  • program or course descriptions related to your studies
  • academic transcripts
  • apprenticeship certificates
  • letters from employers
  • performance reviews
  • work descriptions for jobs you have done
  • resume
  • letters of reference
  • documentation on the change of name, if the name on any of the documents is different from your current official name
  • Some documents are required to be originals or notarized copies and may need to be accompanied by a certified literal translation into English or French.
  • Some organizations only accept documents sent directly from original educational institutions.

You will also be asked to present your Permanent Resident Card, Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (IMM 5292) or Canadian Citizenship Card during the assessment process.

Trades Certification

The Red Seal program sets Canadian standards for most trades. With the Red Seal certification a trades person can work in his or her trade all across Canada.

In PEI many trades require specific training and diplomas. If you want to be certified in a Red Seal trade on PEI, you need to consult the Apprenticeship Section of the Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning.

Help with Qualification Recognition

All professionals and trades persons can contact employment counsellors with the Employment Assistance Service (EAS) at the PEI ANC to get help with qualification recognition.

The PEI ANC employment counsellors can also help you find professional certified translators to translate your documents if necessary. Ask your counsellor if you are eligible to have the translation costs covered by the employment program. [See Related Resources]