Online Guide for Newcomers to Prince Edward Island - Canada
If there is a food product you would like to buy, and it is not available at your local grocery store, talk to the store or department manager - they may be able to order the product for you.
Here are some important things for you to know about buying food in stores which sell food and food products in PEI:
- There is no sales tax on basic food items like milk or bread. Some food items that do have tax charged on them are: candy, carbonated soft drinks (pop), prepared food (take-out), or food in a restaurant.
- Convenience stores or 'corner stores' sell a variety of food products. They are open late and may be close to home, but their prices are usually higher than in larger food stores.
- Larger supermarkets or grocery stores, like the Atlantic Super Store, Sobey's, Clover Farm, Co-op Foods, IGA, Price Choppers, and Save Easy, sell some international or 'ethnic' food products.
- There is no bargaining when buying food in a grocery store.
- Alcohol and tobacco products are not sold in grocery stores in PEI.
- Many communities have farmers markets and special stores that sell locally produced foods. Most of these food products are fresh and seasonal.
Making Healthy Food Choices
Eating a balanced variety of foods is one of the best ways to protect and promote good health. Selecting nutritious and healthy food is important when buying groceries.
Health Canada has developed and made available numerous guides and other resources on this topic. These resources can help you establish a healthy diet, understand standardized Canadian nutrition labels, learn about food safety, and more. [See Related Resources]
Specialized Stores Offering International Food Products
On the Island there are some specialized food stores and convenience stores which offer international food products. Some of these stores are:
Han Gook Convenience Market
16 Trans Canada Highway, Cornwall 902-367-3189
251 Fitzroy Street, Charlottetown 902-894-9925
'Norman's' Brighton Clover Farm
20 Century Terrace, Charlottetown 902-894-8874
|Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food|
|Philippine, African & South Asian Grocery
95 Capital Drive, Charlottetown 902-370-3399
|Philippine, African and South Asian food|
Pin Yuan Canada
158 Belvedere Avenue, Charlottetown 902-892-8888
|Asian food - mainly Chinese food products, but some Japanese, Korean and Thai food|
34 Queen Street, Charlottetown 902-892-6227
|herbs, spices, teas, health foods and food supplements|