ISS Program - Information for Schools and Teachers
If you are a teacher or work in another capacity within the school system, and you need information or support regarding immigrant students, please contact us.
Useful online resources:
- GVSD EAL - This is a wiki site with links to other websites, handouts, resources and other helpful materials for EAL teachers. Also includes links to articles and blogs for teachers, materials for holidays, grammar, phonics and vocabulary building, as well as materials for the technology-based classroom.
- ESL Teacher Talk - Includes interviews, tips, games, activity ideas and more for ESL teachers.
- Teacher Planet - Lesson plans, rubrics, worksheets, ESL, tools, freebies, craft ideas, A-Z themes, posters, jokes, etc.
- Lessons learned from my new immigrant students - The Globe and Mail Globe Life: Facts & Arguments essey [January 27, 2010]
- Mentors help new immigrant students with their first day of school in Canada - CanadaVisa.com Canada Immigration Lawyers news [August 31,2009]
- ImmigrantChildren.ca - blog by Sonia Worotynec, MA Immigration and Settlement Studies
- Cultural Diversity - a Canadian Council on Social Development (CCSD) research program
- Canada, the rights of the child and refugee and immigrant children - Canadian Council for Refugees document