Online Guide for Newcomers to Prince Edward Island, Canada

Permanent Resident Card

Permanent Resident Card

Your Permanent Resident (PR) Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada. If you leave the country, you will need this card to re-enter Canada.

Applying for a PR Card

Since June 2002, all new permanent residents should automatically receive their first PR Card as part of the immigration process.

If you are applying to immigrate to Canada, you do not need to apply for a card using the process described on this page.

You need to apply for a PR Card if you have a permanent resident status in Canada and:

  • you received the status before June 28, 2002;
  • you became a permanent resident after June 28, 2002, but did not receive a PR Card at that time; or
  • you need to replace an expired, lost, or stolen PR Card.

The PR Card expires every five years. You should check the expiry date and apply for a new one at least 120 days before you plan to travel outside Canada.

If your PR card is lost, stolen, or destroyed, you need to contact the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre immediately at 1-888-242‑2100 if you are in Canada, or the local Canadian visa office nearest you if you are outside of Canada. [See Related Resources]

You need to complete the following steps to get your first PR Card, renew an expired card, or replace your lost or stolen card:

  1. Get a PR Card application kit
  2. Read the guide and complete the application form
  3. Attach the necessary documents to your application
  4. Pay the fee and get the original receipt
  5. Mail your application form and documents

We have made every effort to ensure that the information in this Guide is accurate and up-to-date. If you find of any errors or omissions, please contact us.