Private Health Insurance
The PEI Health Card does not cover all medical costs. You can buy insurance from a private company to pay for costs that are not covered.
Additional health insurance or a medical plan can cover all or part of the costs of things like:
- prescription medications
- eye examinations, glasses and contact lenses
- dental services
- medical travel costs (when you have to travel to access medical services)
- ambulance service
- private hospital room
- other health services from providers like: massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, etc.
The cost of your private health plan will depend on:
- your age
- your state of health
- number of family members on the plan, their ages, and state of health, and
- the services you choose to include in your health insurance plan package.
With private health insurance sometimes you have to pay for the medical service, and you get the money back from your insurance company after you claim the expense, and sometimes the service provider bills your insurance company directly.
You can find the health insurance companies listed in the Yellow Pages. [See Related Resources]