About Youth Settlement Services
Youth Settlement Services (YSS) team offers support to registered PEIANC clients who are students (Kindergarten through Grade 12) and to their parents. YSS assists newcomer students to successfully integrate into the Canadian school system, provides guidance and transfer of skills to help youth adapt into Canadian culture, and supports students in coping with social, emotional, and any family or other relationship-related challenges. Youth Settlement Workers advocate on behalf of newcomer children and families as needed.
When requested, YSS Workers assist teachers and administrators within the Prince Edward Island school system to identify and meet newcomer students' needs and to help resolve any issues between the schools and newcomer students and families.
Some of the services offered:
- Delivering information sessions on the PEI Public School System for parents and children
- Supporting parents in the process of school and kindergarten enrollment for their children
- Interpretation and translation for school-related matters
- Liaison between school and home
- Referrals to other PEIANC departments or other community services as needed
- Organization of workshops and activities for students
- Support for youth engaged in sports, such as: providing information, accessing financial assistance, and loaning sports equipment
- Providing one-to-one and family counselling services