Support and Services for International Students

The PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada employs a Settlement Worker who provides services to international students to meet their individual settlement needs.

Some of the services provided to international students are:

  • Completing a PEIANC intake and initial needs assessment for the student
  • Assisting clients to obtain an English tutor through PEIANC
  • Providing information on online practice materials for English language, as well as referral for language assessments, and information on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Assisting students to apply for a provincial health card, a Social Insurance Number, and a family physician by registering on the physician registry
  • Providing information on volunteer tax clinics and Canada Revenue (CCB, GST/HST returns, income tax) as applicable
  • Assisting with translation services for driver's licenses and other documents
  • Providing information on process to change conditions or extend an immigration visa as a worker, a student or a visitor, including Post Graduate Work Permit via information and instruction form the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website
  • Referring to other PEIANC programs such as Employment Assistance Services, Youth Settlement Services, Community Connections Program, and so on