PEIANC Employment Opportunity: Employment Counsellor
Deadline to Apply: May 23, 2018
PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada is hiring a full-time Employment Counsellor.
The Employment Counsellor provides information and guidance to newly arrived immigrants, including refugees, on all aspects of the job search and career planning. The Counsellor reports to the Coordinator of Employment Assistance Services (EAS) at PEIANC.
- Administering needs assessments for individual clients to assist in identifying employment outcomes and potential barriers;
- Assisting newcomers in establishing goals and objectives leading to employment;
- Facilitating various workshops on job preparation, resume building, job search, and interview skills;
- Assisting clients with the development of their resumes and cover letters;
- Researching and developing information and materials for presentations to businesses, community organizations, and other stakeholders;
- Establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with businesses and business and community organizations, as well as seeking networking opportunities with potential employers;
- Working with employers to assist in addressing their concerns and potential barriers to hiring immigrants;
- Maintaining detailed and up-to-date notes on each client as well as entering information into federal, provincial, and ANC databases; and
- Providing updates and reports as required by the Coordinator of EAS.
- A university degree in social sciences or college diploma in a related field (minimum 2 years) and/or related experience;
- Excellent interpersonal, client service, organizational, and communication skills;
- Computer proficiency, including demonstrated ability in word processing and spreadsheets;
- Experience in employment, career or business counselling;
- Ability to be an effective team player, as well as the ability to work well under pressure and with minimum supervision;
- Experience in workshop/event planning and facilitation;
- Experience and knowledge of immigration laws and regulations would be an asset;
- Experience working with immigrants or in a cross-cultural environment would be an asset; and
- Knowledge of additional languages would be an asset (Mandarin or Arabic preferred).
NOTE: This position may require evening and weekend work.
How to Apply
Apply by email. Please send a cover letter and resume, by Wednesday, May 23, 2018 to:
Verity Kislingbury (Office Administration) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.