News - Announcements - Current Events
Things to Know
- Tenant Support Centre website launched
- Aug 20 2019
- New resource for Island tenants and landlords
The Tenant Support Centre, a project of Community Legal Information, has launched this new website for Island tenants. Rentingpei.ca provides plain-language legal information about tenants' rights and responsibilities.
- Community navigator hired for western PEI
- Aug 09 2019
- Position created to help newcomers
The position has been launched under a pilot project jointly funded by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) and the provincial government and it's intended to make sure newcomers to the province have the resources they need to thrive.
- Immigration office reopens in Charlottetown
- Aug 08 2019
- After seven years, newcomers and established residents of PEI once again have access to immigration services within the province
The office, operated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, was shut down in 2012. The reopening was marked with a citizenship ceremony, where 29 permanent residents from 11 countries became Canadian citizens. [source: CBC News]
- Atlantic Immigrant Career Loan Fund helps newcomers achieve credential recognition
- May 29 2019
- Media Release
Credential recognition can be a major barrier for immigrants to enter the labour market. The cost associated with having international credentials recognized is often expensive and can affect newcomers eventual inclusion in their chosen field.
Things to Do
- Friday Friendship Hour
- Fridays at 5:00 pm
- PEIANC hosts a social activity called Friday Friendship Hour held most Fridays throughout the year. Everyone is invited to attend -- new and established Islanders alike.
- PEIANC Camps on School PD Days
- For Kindergarten to Grade 6 Students
- PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada offers PD Day camps to students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 from refugee and low-income families. Camps are free for participants. Space is limited and registration is needed.